The Canadian Reformed World Relief Fund Mission CRWRF serves as a bridge for our church members and churches to provide resources that address material needs of people suffering the effects of poverty through Christian motivated partners.
Reminder about year-end donations
We have noticed that after each year-end, we continue to receive cheques in the mail that were written in the prior year, throughout January and even further into the new year. We need to remind you of the importance of sending all donations to our PO box in Burlington no later than Dec. 31 of the year the donations were made. This is important for several reasons:
- we are not allowed to issue receipts for donations made in a given year unless those donations were deposited by us in that year, or postmarked within that year. CRWRF is subject to the possibility of a CRA audit at any time, and any concerns raised could jeopardize our status as a registered charity and our ability to issue tax receipts. It is not enough that the donations are in your possession within that fiscal year – they must have been received by us, or be in the mail, at year-end.
- Donors prefer that their cheques clear as soon as possible, to simplify their financial record-keeping.
- Cheques not clearing for several months gives some donors the impression that their donations are not needed or appreciated.
- Donations towards a specific project should be received within a reasonable time frame so that they can be used for that project.
- The bookkeeper needs to close the books soon after year-end in order to prepare for the accountant’s review of the financial statements, and for issuing of tax receipts.
Please keep these points in mind at the end of each year (to adhere to CRA requirements) but also throughout the year as well.
Thank you for your assistance and for your continued support of CRWRF.Donate
Update – Hurricane Matthew response
As we have started to receive funds for Hurricane Matthew, CRWRF has decided, as an initial commitment, to allocate $25,000 to assist World Renew in their immediate emergency response. This response is in cooperation with the Canadian Foodgrains Bank (CFGB), which activates the 4:1 matching provision CFGB is able to provide. In partnership with the local Haitian presence of FIDA (Foundation of International Development Assistance), the project will provide aid in the South-Western part of Haiti, in the districts of Sud and Grand’Anse. These areas have been most severely affected by hurricane winds and flooding, and have seen the destruction of close to 100% of the homes and crops.
The project will provide three months of food assistance and an immediate supply of seeds to 1600 households in the area of Pestel in Grand’Anse. Food assistance is critical to meeting short-term needs and negative coping strategies. Corn and bean seeds are provided so that farmers can plant short season crops and get a harvest in three months.
Once again Haiti has been struck with a devastating natural disaster – Hurricane Matthew. Much work had already been done in the poor nation after the devastating earthquake, when Hurricane Matthew wreaked havoc on the southwest part of the country. Reports of massive damage to homes and remote villages –these people are suffering. Currently many are being treated for cholera and steps are being taken to prevent more from getting the disease.
We are currently investigating opportunities with Samaritans Purse and World Renew, as well as with other trusted international Christian relief organizations, to determine our best response, initially to provide immediate relief, and in the longer term for rehabilitation efforts. We expect to have more information of what we intend to do in the next two weeks. Updates will be posted on our website www.crwrf.ca or on Facebook.
In the meantime, if you wish to help, we will gratefully accept your donations. All donations received by December 15, 2016 and earmarked ‘Hurricane Matthew” will be directed to our relief response. Donations received after this date will be added to our general contributions. All cheques should be made payable to “CRWRF”, and mailed to CRWRF, P.O. Box 85225, Burlington, ON L7R 4K4. Alternatively, you can donate online. Please remember those suffering in Haiti, and pray that our Lord may provide ways to bring relief to the victims and to open doors and hearts to the message of the gospel, the good news of Jesus Christ.Donate
Please see our Autumn Newsletter for an update. Also for more information about Konnie’s recent trip to Africa – join us on Instagram or Facebook. If you have any questions or concerns about the work being done by CRWRF do not hesitate to contact us.
Hebrews 13:14-15 “For this world is not our permanent home; we are looking forward to a home yet to come. Therefore, let us offer through Jesus a continual sacrifice of praise to God, proclaiming our allegiance to his name. And don’t forget to do good and to share with those in need. These are the sacrifices that please God.”